Sunday, November 3, 2013

To be, or not to be



     "To be, or not to be." Easily on of (if not the) most famous line Shakespeare has ever written, puts Hamlet's inner struggle of continuing in this world, or ending his life into words. He weights the absolute despair in life to the unknown in death in his soliloquy represented by David Tennant and Kenneth Branagh.

     Although both actors playing Hamlet are saying the same words, the way they present them leaves me with two completely different interpretations. I thought that David Tennant successfully sought escape from his life with burgeoning hunger and all together seemed more genuinely worried about death than Kenneth Branagh. I was able to distinguish when he started questioning death as a true escape while, Branagh seemed to be in love with the idea with suicide throughout the scene. When I finished watching Branagh's interpretation of Hamlet's soliloquy I was reminded of a man who didn't really believe in the institution of marriage on his wedding day. Branagh was in love with suicide but even when he weighed the con's of death, there was an underlying love for the idea. He is the groom who knows he is in love with his fiancé but is afraid of marriage or scared of commitment. Branagh just seemed like he had "cold feet" but knew he would go through with the wedding because he loved his fiancé, death. 



1 comment:

  1. Hi !!

    So I thought that your post was really good! I though that your review of both the videos was great, going of the good parts and bad parts of both the video. I actually did the same videos!! Haha... ok moving on, I thought that how you took their acting and showed what you got such as suicide intentions and seeking escape, I was like woah that' deep!! Awesome! In the end I though that your post was great !! Thanks !! Good job!!

    ReplyDelete