Wednesday, September 11, 2013


Welcome to Kateland: The Land of Kate!
     Im glad to put the childhood name my Aunt Beth gave my own little world to some use and invite you to become a part of it. 
     The summer text I most related to was "Barbie Doll" by Marge Piercy it speaks directly to every teenage girl's insecurities. With all the pressure to be unrealistically, and impossibly perfect like a Barbie Doll some girls will go to the extremes to try fit the ambiguous definition. 
      No matter how many times I read her tragic ending, I want to jump through the text and time and tell that girl she is beautiful until she really hears me and before it takes her life. But the heartbreak in this story is that leaving this world gave her what she wanted. Only when it was too late for her to hear it herself, she was beautiful. 

"A penny for my thoughts, oh, no, I'll sell 'em for a dollar
They're worth so much more after I'm a goner
And maybe then you'll hear the words I been singin'
Funny when you're dead how people start listenin'"
-If I Die Young, The Band Perry 

No comments:

Post a Comment